Building Emergency Staff (BSEC & BES)
Building Supervisors for Emergency Conditions (BSEC) and Building Emergency Staff (BES).
UCR personnel from campus buildings who serve as the lead point of contact for all emergency program activities. All major campus buildings have an assigned BSEC and at least one BES per floor.
What does a BSEC do?
The Building Supervisor for Emergency Conditions (BSEC) should be the first one out, going directly to the Emergency Assembly Area (EAA). Once there, this person should then coordinate with their BES’s in the EAA. Prepare to brief important information with first responders. Arrange for support to emergency responders (as needed).
- Coordinate and manage their building’s emergency preparedness activities,
- Participate in training and meetings
- Initiate verification of building evacuation,
- Ensure occupants are in the Emergency Assembly Area (EAA)
- Provide information to the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) and first responders in an emergency.
What does a BES do?
The Building Emergency Staff (BES) assist in clearing people from inside and away from the building. Observing things emergency responders may need to know, using your basic senses and as safety permits.
- Evacuate others
- Assist or guide people to the exits or safe refuge areas
- Conduct situation assessment
- Communicate with their BSEC